ISO 9712 UT Level 3
- Created By admin@decibel
- Last Updated November 15th, 2021
ULTRASONIC TESTING: LEVEL 3
Depending on experience
Theory training course and examination
COURSE CODE: DETS-UT3
Why attend this course?
These are guidance courses aimed at the ISO 9712 requirements for Ultrasonic Practitioner Level 3 in either welds, casting or wrought products. The main objective is to make candidates fully aware of the scope of the examination and level of knowledge required (This will also enable candidates to identify their weak subject areas). Advice will be given on any further tuition required. Candidates should ideally hold any ISO 9712 Level 2 approval in Ultrasonic Testing as a minimum and have at least 2 years experience in NDT Inspection before attempting these courses.
Candidates are required to complete and pass the ISO 9712 Level 3 Basic training course before attempting individual methods. More information about the course can be found here.
- ISO 9712 requirements for Level 3 approval
- Complementary NDT methods
- Advanced product technology
- Quality assurance, quality control and supervision
- Specifications, procedures and techniques
- Analysis of reports
- Advanced ultrasonic testing theory and revision
- Analysis of procedures
- Procedure writing
- Mock examinations
Training and experience hours required for Certification
Full ISO 9712 certification is only achieved once the required experience is acquired following the completion of the required training hours and passing of the examination:
Ultrasonic Testing (per sector – Welds, Castings, Wrought Products/Forgings*)
Level 1 – 40 training hours and 3 months experience
Level 2 – 80 training hours and 9 months experience
Level 3 – 40 training hours (+80 hrs for Level 3 Basic) and 36 months experience
*Students are able to complete an additional 4 days training and 1 day examination for additional UT sectors e.g. if you hold welds and wish to add castings.
Ultrasonic Nozzle & Node/Thickness & Lamination’s
Level 2 – 40 training hours (supplementary to UT Level 2) and 9 months experience
Direct to Level 2 options are available, in this instance, students would be required to complete both Level 1 and 2 training and experience requirements.
Responsibilities of an Ultrasonic Testing Level 3 certified NDT professional
An individual certified to Ultrasonic Testing Level 3 has demonstrated competence to perform and direct Ultrasonic Testing operators for which he is certified. Ultrasonic Testing Level 3 personnel have demonstrated:
- The competence to evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes, and specifications
- Sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select Ultrasonic Testing methods, establish Ultrasonic Testing techniques and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where non are otherwise available
- A general familiarity with other NDT methods
Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Ultrasonic Testing Level 3 personnel may be authorized to:
- Assume full responsibility for the test facility or examination centre and staff
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate Ultrasonic Testing instructions and procedures
- Interpret codes, standards, specifications and procedures
- Designate the particular Ultrasonic test methods, techniques and procedures to be used
- Within the scope and limitations of any certification held, carry out all tasks at all levels
- Provide guidance for Ultrasonic Testing personnel at all levels
Level 3 certified personnel may be authorized to carry out, manage and supervise ISO 9712 qualification examinations on behalf of the Respective Certification Body.
Where Level 3 duties require the individual to apply routine NDT by a method or methods within a particular product or industry sector, Certification Body strongly recommends that the industry demand that this person should hold and maintain Level 2 certification in the applicable method(s) and sector(s).
The range and scope of ISO 9712 certification available at each level is defined in the relevant annex to these general requirements.
For Taking Admission in this course or for further enquiries
or Email Us at: firstname.lastname@example.org